Science in Fiction

Science in Fiction

11 April 2011

Can You Give Thoughts or Memories?

www.onlineweblibrary.com
About a month ago, my fiancé and I were driving down 93.  Out of the blue, I thought about Spiderco and made a comment to him about how I thought it was impressive that such a good company started in Golden.  Turns out he was thinking just that; and he was thinking about it because we were driving right by it then.  I had no idea that Spiderco was there—I was looking out the opposite window a the time—and I don't know what made me think about it.

This wasn't the first time I'd made a comment about what my fiancé was thinking.  We even joke that I can read his mind sometimes.  But can thoughts or memories be transferred from one person to another?  I've often pondered about telepathy since I read The Giver by Lois Lowry in 6th grade.

The plot of the book is not important to this post, but I do highly recommend reading the book.  Here's what you do need to know.  The book takes place in a futuristic society where love, loss, color, and music is unknown to all but The Giver.  Jonas, the main character, is picked, when he comes of age, to receive these memories.  And, that the memories are transferred telepathically.

I don't know if telepathy is real but I do think it's possible.  Why does a cynical physics major think it's possible?  Because of things like this:


The brain uses electricity, so it is sending out an electrical signal.  This is quite a new technology and will be exceptionally useful for amputee patients.  However, it's not perfect.  Since every person thinks a little differently, you can't just hook up to the machine and awesome away.  You have to train your mind to use it.  Just like someone going through physical therapy after a stroke.

So, I think it might be possible for someone to be able to pick up another's thoughts under certain circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting, and is one of those moments where science (perhaps unwittingly) begins to tread into the realm of the spiritual or at least deeply personal. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete